This was based on an experience of enrolling my dog 'Freddie' into a local dog daycare centre called 'Ka-Pooch'. After struggling to use their app (a third party service), I decided to re-design the booking experience as a way to learn more about the entire UX Process.
The new app
In these situations, it is easy to be bias and assume problems. To overcome this, I decided to complete two methods of research to identify user pain points and insights. I will be using a Heuristic Evaluation and User Review Analysis.
a. Lack of Unity and sussinctness (UI): There is a clear difference in UI between the Main Menu and Booking part.
b. Two inconsistent Menu's: There is a hamburger menu on the first page in the top left, followed by a dashboard in ‘Contact’. Then when selecting ‘My Login’ the hamburger menu shifts to the top right. Main Menu also consists of too many options which could be categorised.
c. Inconsistent gestures: Throughout the experience, there are several varying gestures including slide left tab option, downwards scrolling and then horizontal scrolling.
d. Microcopy: Several instances of vague microcopy including ‘request services’ and ‘other links’. There are many features with vague call to actions like ‘Photo/Video’ which would not be necessary. ‘Messages’ is also ambiguous, what are clients receiving messages or notifications for? Is this a communication service?
e. Too many extra screens: For logging on, there are two separate stages for username and password. There is also an extra unnecessary screen for ‘Request Services’. 'My Reservations' information is also poorly displayed and requires you to scroll across like an excel spread sheet.
I tested the current app with 5 participants and recorded results and verbatim's said during the process:
1. See if there were similarities from insights gained in Heuristic evaluation.
2. To understand emotions experienced throughout the booking process.
Branding and UI styles are clumsy, inconsistent and outdated: Branding shifts between different features of the app
Gesture/Interactions/Menu's are inconsistent: The app shifts between several different finger gestures to complete tasks as well as 3 different sets of menus.
Lack of organisation: There are too many options and it easily becomes overwhelming to decipher how to complete a given task.
User Experience: Overall, the app is clumsy and the booking experience is outdated and hard to use. There is also a lack of validation including unused features like Messages.
There were lots of problems/inconsistencies I could change to improve the app. Therefore I decided to create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) was to base it on a sole action -
'As a consumer I want to be able to register my dog on the app, book a day and be notified when my booking is accepted/denied’
To gather an idea of the types of people who will use a dog daycare, I went to the Ka-Pooch Facebook page and scanned through all the profiles that had written reviews from Ka-Pooch. From here, I was able to define 3 main personas.
The new app will easily benefit Elly the most, considering she uses it most often. For a busy person that relies on technology to complete tasks, a difficult registration experience may deter her loyalty to the brand all together. Considering she is using this service so often, she is after something easy and seamless. The happier she is using the app, the more likely she would purchase extra novelties from Ka-Pooch as well as stay loyal to the brand.
This product would also benefit Dan and Sarah who would like the idea of being able to use an app out of convenience.
A new app may make it easier for Greg and Deborah however would not deter their loyalty as they are not technology savvy and usually book via phonecall. They also don’t use the service often enough, so they don’t necessarily mind if a booking isn’t as quick and easy as it should be. They simply don’t have high expectations.
I began working by wireframing the current menu. This was to determine categories or areas which are similar or repeat. From there, I was able to develop four different categories. These four categories were the start to a Sitemap and a user flow which would help would help lead the direction of primary wire-framing.
Looking at the current IA, I was able to map out a new and easier approach to where I thought different functionality belonged. In this process, I tried to keep in mind the context people are in as they go through the app. There is no point in showing all the functionality at once if it's not necessary to the action they are taking
From the site map, I began to build the User Flow. The purpose of the user flow was to start thinking about the journey a user would take as well as the holistic experience.
From here, I decided to create the first set of wireframes for the new Ka-Pooch app. I decided to follow the site map at the top and create a dashboard menu to address the inconsistent menu problem on the current app. I went for a Dashboard approach with the principle in mind -
"What's out of sight, is out of mind"
Whilst working on the wireframes and creating a booking process, I began to consider two different solutions
a. Scroll Down Form: A user scrolls through each option to make a booking and remains on the same page until submission
b. Step-by-Step: Each step of the booking process is shown on a different screen.
Each Option A and B were tested with 5 different participants with an Invision Prototype. The test required them to complete the following.
Upon analysing User Testing Results, the following Decisions were made
Upon working on the User Interface of the app from the Wireframes, I decided to re-brand 'Ka-Pooch' with a fun hand drawn dog. I decided to stick with the current 'Ka-Pooch' brand traits of friendly and fun however chose some bolder contrasting colours.